Speech therapy deals with problems of voice, speech, and language. The medical-therapeutic field deals with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders in these areas. The aim is to improve or restore the communication skills of those affected.
What is speech therapy while dining?
Communication is an important part of life. Being able to communicate clearly and comprehensibly to others enables active participation in almost all areas of life – whether in everyday professional life or in the social and family dining environment. If language understanding, articulation, sound formation, or the like are impaired, this slows down those affected – in addition to social relationships, professional perspectives often suffer, as well as school perspectives for children.
Speech therapy singapore aims to restore or develop communication skills in the first place. It examines and treats disorders related to language, voice, and speech. Swallowing disorders are also part of the specialty, as they can have a negative effect on the ability to speak.
When is speech therapy performed while dining?
The target group of speech therapy measures are adults and children alike. The fields of application include, for example:
- Dysphagia in babies and young children
- Dysphagia in adults, e.g. in neurological and geriatric diseases or as a result of tumor diseases
- For orofacial dysfunction to support orthodontic/dental treatment
- Language development disorders in children
- Hearing processing and hearing perception disorders
- Stuttering and rumbling
- Voice disorders
- Speech and language disorders in the context of neurological or geriatric diseases, such as strokes, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, dementia, and in the hearing impaired and deaf.
Dining and Speech therapy for children
In some children, speech is slow to develop for a variety of reasons. Experts recommend a speech therapy examination if the child is four years old and linguistically clearly behind their peers. The developmental disorders can affect the following areas:
- The pronunciation
- The vocabulary
- The grammar
- The use of language
- The language understanding
- The flow of speech
In principle, disorders in language acquisition can be treated well by a speech therapist even when dining. In the case of medically diagnosed impaired language development, the general language support that is available in almost every daycare center is usually not sufficient. Rather, it requires well-founded speech therapy with which language and speech problems can be treated in a targeted manner.